Frequently Asked Questions
What is a recovery coach?
- A recovery coach is someone who supports people in recovery from a behavior that you want to practice reducing and/or eliminate. Sometimes a coach will have lived experience and sometimes they don’t.
- I focus on supporting others to heal their relationship with food and body. This includes eating disorders, disordered eating, chronic dieting, binge eating, compulsive eating, overeating, "food addiction", embodiment and/or body image.
How is coaching different than therapy?
- Coaches support your recovery and do not diagnose or treat.
- Coaches support you in recovery with mental health challenges, and can refer you to other providers when needed.
- Coaches have the ability to share more of their lived experience as necessary when helpful for the people they support.
- Coaches can meet with people in many different locations, such as, their home, restaurants, grocery stores, work, school, etc. Virtual appointments are possible with coaching, nationally and internationally.
How often will we meet?
- This answer varies. It depends on how often you want support. It could be three times a week or once a week. Virtually or in-person. If you are interested in extended in home support, let’s talk more about a custom plan for you!
How do I pick the right coach for me?
- This is a really personal decision. I suggest picking the person that you click the most with when you talk to them. Making sure you have similar values is important in building the trust you need to work with a coach.
Do you work virtually?
- Yes! My online scheduler adjusts to your time zone, so it keeps scheduling easy. I know there are many places in the world that accessing anyone familiar with eating disorder recovery can be very challenging!
Where can I see you in-person?
- I’m predominately in Portland, Oregon for 1:1 support.
- For extended in home support, I am willing to travel to where you are.
Are you able to coach people internationally?
- Yes! I’m happy to support people outside of the US! We can use my Zoom video conference link with access to internet.
Do you work with people with eating disorders?
- Yes, I will work with people diagnosed with eating disorders.
What if I already see a therapist, dietitian, and/or a doctor?
- Great! I’m happy to be a complementary puzzle piece in your treatment team!
- You can pay monthly or per session. My rate is $100 per hour. I do offer a sliding scale rate. Contact me and we can work out the details.
Do you take insurance?
- No. Coaching is not yet a service that is supported through insurance.
What is meal support?
- Learning new ways of being and interacting with food can be really, super hard. I can eat with you in-person or virtually as a way to support your recovery. Sometimes having someone there with you can make a positive impact on your ability to feed yourself.
Will I be able to text and/or email you as part of coaching?
- Yes. I offer texting and email support between sessions.
What about confidentiality?
- I am absolutely about the utmost confidentiality. Everything you say stays between me and you. I will never give your information out to a third party.
What eating disorder are you in recovery from?
- I am in recovery from anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa including exercise, binge eating disorder, and orthorexia. Yea. . .it was complicated. And this is common.
- I am also in recovery from alcohol and marijuana use. I attended Alcoholic Anonymous for 12.5 years.
What are your qualifications?
- Bachelor’s degree in health sciences from Cleveland State University.
- 2+ years graduate school for East Asian medicine and Chinese herbalism at NUNM.
- Certified Body Trust® Advocate through Be Nourished in Portland, Or.
- Has completed 72 of 80 hours towards becoming a Peer Wellness Specialist.